Use home internet connection remotely from abroad

pavniewiarowski 20:16 24 Nov 2010

I travel regularly on business and whilst having good internet access in hotels, I often have limited access to UK TV channels. BBC and ITV iplayers are restricted to UK based viewing only.

I don't want to pay for proxy server access and have so far failed to find anything usable that doesn't charge.

I was wondering whether it is possible for me to connect remotely from my laptop to my broadband router at home and use my home internet connection as a 'proxy'. This would need to work without me having to leave a PC switched on at home. I am not technically minded at all, so would like to explore simple options, if such options exist.

Does anyone know how this can be done? I have a Netgear Wireless Router (thing it is a DG834G).

Ashrich 23:37 24 Nov 2010

I'd try the free version of LogMeIn click here , it is very easy to use and will allow you to see exactly what is on screen like the PC is in front of you . Not sure though whether you get sound with the free version ( I use Pro2 for maintaining a server and six laptops remotely and that does give sound ). Have a look at the website , the Pro2 version isn't that dear and works really well .

Ashley

pavniewiarowski 05:25 25 Nov 2010

Thanks for the suggestion. I only want to remotely access my broadband connection, i.e. the router which is always switched on. I don't want have a PC switched on at home and don't need to access the PC as this would mean leaving it on constantly.

Is there anyway of configuring my router, so that I can connect to it remotely and then access the internet via its broadband connection?

mgmcc 08:05 25 Nov 2010

Simple answer is "No", it cannot be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?