Use an Existing E Mail Address

Mr "B" 18:32 13 Mar 2011

I have recently changed my internet provider - it used to be Virgin and I used to have a virgin business e mail address. I am now with BT so obviously i need to change the settings on my e mail account because where it is a business e mail it is important that i keep the same e mail address. I have a rough idea of what i need to do but i am getting stuck on the incoming and outgoing server - the system is windows XP and outlook express. Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

Jollyjohn 19:07 13 Mar 2011

See here click here for virgin settings

Sea Urchin 19:31 13 Mar 2011

It's not the Virgin settings you need but the BTInternet settings for Outlook Express. But note at Step 6 you need your Incoming server address for Virgin, but the Outgoing for BTInternet.

click here

Sea Urchin 19:34 13 Mar 2011

PS Go right through to Step 16

MAJ 19:37 13 Mar 2011

Virgin probably wont let you use the email address in any case, at least for any length of time, since you no longer have an account with them.

Batch 08:36 14 Mar 2011

Maj may well be right - it depends on whether your Virgin "business" email address was tied to the supply of your Virgin Broadband service. If it was, then Virgin may well terminate the use of the Virgin email address.

Having said that, if the email address still works, you will need to set up the Virgin email account details in OE with the incoming server (POP3) as per Virgin's instructions. But the outgoing server (SMTP) will need to be the BT SMTP server. Unlike most ISP's BT will not let you simply send email from any address over their servers. You will need to register each specific non-BT address that you want to use with BT. See the following for further details (I just had to do this for a neighbour that switched to BT Broadband, but wanted to keep their old Tiscali dial-up email addresses):

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?