Use of CD/DVDs on Lightscribe

frappy 10:19 13 Dec 2009

My current laptop uses ordinary CD/DVDs for recording/playing. I'm proposing to purchase a new laptop which has Lightscribe included. Can I use ordinary CD/DVDs to record/play (I have a large stock...........)or do I have to purchase Lightscribe CD/DVDs only.

Technotiger 10:37 13 Dec 2009

No, you will need Lightscribe DVD/CDs.

click here

Jim Thing 11:24 13 Dec 2009

To expand a little on Technotiger's post:

You'll be able to record/playback ordinary CDs/DVDs on your new laptop but you won't be able to print Lightscribe "labels" on them. For that, you'll need Lightscribe disks; these have a special coating on one side on which a graphics image can be laser-imprinted.

As far as recording and playback are concerned, Lightscribe disks and ordinary disks are interchangeable. Your large stock of ordinary CDs/DVDs will not go to waste,

Technotiger 13:23 13 Dec 2009

Good point - I should have mentioned that.

Strawballs 16:20 13 Dec 2009

They will only print in greyscale. You can get different colour disc's but it will still be in greyscale.

Chas49 00:49 14 Dec 2009

I did, for a short time, use lightscribe on the proper disks - not happy with the result - too faint - even when I did it twice! Others may, of course had better results and I suppose it's possible that the disks were sub standard, but I don't think so.

But all you have to lose is the cost of the disks - so I'd advise you to buy sparingly at the start, if satisfied then buy a larger amount.

Strawballs 02:21 14 Dec 2009

I found to be very good.
After sending first drive back to Novatech because of faint finish they replaced without question and second drive works fine(both Samsung)

Curio 14:19 14 Dec 2009

Have used Lightscribe Drive and discs for over 12 months now. Discs I finally settled on are Infiniti Professional. Gold coloured background on the label side. Found that other coloured discs were sometimes appreciably fainter.

Chas49 15:04 15 Dec 2009

Please excuse me on using your thread Frappy.

I suspected that the disks were iffy. Should I decide to give it another go then I'll use thise mentioned by Curio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone