USBs on laptop stopped working

sheila.weston 11:10 03 Dec 2010

I have never had problems with usb ports before, but two of my three usb ports on my Toshiba laptop appear to have stopped working. Is there any way I can resurrect them? Also, I have a 'Sweet' external 4 port minihub USB 2 which appears to have stopped functioning at the same time. They haven't all gone together, just gradually over several months ie sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

Thanks for any help.

Nontek 11:33 03 Dec 2010

You could try re-installing all your USB Ports - go into Devices, right-click on all/each USB Port in turn and click on uninstall. Then re-start your computer in the normal way - the USB Ports will be resurrected.

sheila.weston 12:26 03 Dec 2010

Under Devices/USB Controllers, I have got *eight* 'USB Enhanced Host Controllers,with various numbers, one USB Composite Drive and eight USB Root Hubs. I was hoping to try with just ONE USB first. Do you think that uninstalling just one in the first place would be any good?

Nontek 12:30 03 Dec 2010

No, it needs to be done by uninstalling ALL of the USB Ports. Don't worry, 'tis a bit of a pain but it should work.

sheila.weston 15:20 03 Dec 2010

Sorry to be dim. Do I remove ALL of the above files: USB Enhanced Controllers, USB Root Hubs *and* the Composite Drive or just the root hubs?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 03 Dec 2010

Is your keyboard mouse USB?

It is best to Uninstall EVERYTHING under the Heading USB in device manager.
Reboot the machine and let windows reinstall all the ports and devices.

However if your keyboard is USB then it can sometimes be impossible to get back into windows unless you have a PS2 keyboard plugged in.
On the latest machine USB for DOS is enable in the BIOS and then there is a problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 03 Dec 2010

I often use this little program click here
to sort out non functioning devices (not ports)

It might be worth a try BEFORE you unistall the ports in device manager.

Just select all the devices except keyboard and mouse then click on the rubbish bin to unistall.

They will be reinstalled next time you connect then or when you reboot if they already connected.

sheila.weston 21:25 03 Dec 2010

Many thanks, Fruitbat. I'll give it a go over the weekend.

sheila.weston 12:13 04 Dec 2010

Hmm......... apart from showing that USBs 1 and 2 are OK, I am not sure what to do. I am using a memory stick t check.
With hub 3, I get an error notice: 'D:/refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer etc etc.

SO...... do you think that uninstalling just this line in USBDeview might do the trick?.
I am really worried that I could end up paying for someone to putthis right when I could manage with just two USBs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 04 Dec 2010

Yes try uninstalling Hub 3

then reboot and see if windows finds new rdware and reinstalls it.

or go into device manage and scan for new hardware to see if windows finds it and reinstalls it.

proudfoot 15:46 04 Dec 2010

I had this problem on my previous PC.
I thought my USB Hard Drive had packed up until I tried it on my wife's laptop.
I didn't believe the following would work but it did and I did not have any more problems USB or otherwise until the power pack blew the motherboard.
I was advised shut it down and to remove every plugged in item from the PC remove the mains plug and leave it overnight completely isolated.
Reconnect next day and boot up. It did work.
In your case I would suggest you remove the battery.
Try it you have nothing to loose if all else fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017