usbee

mrchips 19:16 05 Apr 2003

I am considering buying a usbee storage device.
Has anyone tried them yet, and if so can they be used similar to a floppy, By that I mean can changes be made to files?

gul 19:25 05 Apr 2003

I use a USB 1 and USB 2 removable hard drives together with laplink to sync the files to ensure that all the data on my home pc and work pc is the latest.

The answer to your question is it works far better and faster then a floppy.

You can work from and save files directly to the USB drive.

The drive I use is the Anypack drive which is claimed is ther smallest and lightest on the market and comes in 10GB, 20GB and 40GB versions

mrchips 19:45 05 Apr 2003

Thanks for the reply but the hardware in question is trademarked usbee, (the spelling is correct) they are small devices that plug into the usb port, at present as far as I know they only come in 32mb to 256mb

siouxah1 21:15 05 Apr 2003

Hi there Mr Chips,

Have just installed such a device called PockiDrive. 32 mb usb.

It installed very easily, it works just like a small drive, and is easily used from Comp to comp. The one I have installed on W2K did not require the driver disc unless you require to use a password. Useful piece of kit which will do as you require. It shows up in my computer as a separate drive.

Suggest the largest you can afford.

Regards Brian j

There may be an even cheaper way you know....

Why not buy a Multimedia Card or Secure Digital card reader, I have one from Jessops that is the size of a ciggerette lighter and connects direct into a USB port (no cables), needs no drivers (Windows reconises it) and is extremely portable. Price some six months ago was about £15 but I am sure that you could find cheaper.

Now for the good bit - Multimedia cards or secure digital cards are very cheap at the moment. For example , a 128Mb Multimedia card is only £34.69 click here and a secure digital card £66 for 256Mb or if you really need lots of storage on one card, the £220 for 512 MB.

So, for a 256Mb (1/3 of a CD worth) you would be spending something like £80 or so Incl VAT as opposed to £150 for the Usbee click here

With the above idea, which works on any pc to transfer files (Windows just sees a "removable drive" and you can format, save and delete files just like a floppy) you save about £70 and can always buy further cards should you need to.With the present amount of Digital cameras now using MMC or SD cards they can only get cheaper!

Jessops prive is £17 click here& for full details

monkeyshine 21:50 05 Apr 2003

If the price of usbee is £150 as quoted above you'd be better of getting a Maxtor USB drive (40GB) for less than that price.

misery 22:44 05 Apr 2003

Cruzer on Google and you can get a USB device that holds a Secure Digital card. The card is removable so giving you the ability of multiple storage. I have one and use various Secure Digital cards with my gigital camera, makes the transfer of pics dead easy. Also uce the cards to hold data and take to sons computer.

misery 22:47 05 Apr 2003

to say you also get a USB cable thrown in which you can leave connected if your USB connection iss at the rear of you 'puter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone