USB2 message

wrg 17:24 12 Mar 2007

Hi everone.

Advice would be appreciated. Every time I plug my wireless adaptor into my USB port (and other devices ie camcorder) I get a message along the following lines "this device could perform faster using USB2 please click here to see a list of available ports". Does this mean that my laptop does not have USB2 ports? if not can I updrade to USB2 and does it make any difference?

Thanks

jack 17:38 12 Mar 2007

Very likely then this is the case
As the USB 'engine' in integrated with the motherboard, the only upgrade available to you is I would imagine -a new laptop.

De Marcus™ 17:49 12 Mar 2007

click here you'd have to make sure the laptop has a spare pcmcia slot.

What make and model is your laptop?

Diemmess 17:50 12 Mar 2007

As a newbie to XP I am also getting this message which dosn't happen when using W2000.
I recently added a USB 1 hub for extra ports which don't require high transfer rates or appreciable current and it doesn't seem to matter.

Have noticed no loss of speed on the pukka USB 2 ports in spite of the message.

Not much of an answer for you, I will see what the sages say!

wrg 17:54 12 Mar 2007

Hi De Marcus, I have an HP Pavilion ZE4800 and it does have a spare pcmia slot as I used to use it to plug in a wireless card but changed to USB wireless as I could never get a connection. So does this mean I can buy what you have suggested?

De Marcus™ 18:11 12 Mar 2007

Yes but are you certain you don't already have USB 2 on that machine?

wrg 10:01 13 Mar 2007

De Marcus

No I am not sure whether I do or not. I am assuming that I do not and that is why I am getting the message. How can I check?

De Marcus™ 18:48 13 Mar 2007

You'd have to check with HP to confirm this as a search on the web gives conflicting reports, some say it is USB2 enabled and some don't, albeit the majority say it isn't USB 2 enabled.

villageidiot 19:49 13 Mar 2007

click here for Microsoft's version of how to check whether your computer has USB2.0 ports.

Usual level of non-common-sense and out of date answer from Microsoft, but it may help you.

wrg 11:33 15 Mar 2007

Morning

I checked last night and I do not have USB2. There was no "enhanced" in the name under USB.
Would I notice the difference if I were to buy the USB2 pcmia?

Thanks for all your input to a relatively minor posting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?