usb2 hub

ajb 10:24 16 Dec 2003

Hi have Belkin USB2 card in my nortebook - purchased a Belkin F5U224 4 port hub - XP Pro is haveing problems with it - in Device Manager it is logged as a Generic USB Hub with an exclamation mark against it and a status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" - nothing that I plug into the hub is recognised - - Have updated the driver for the card - Belkin dont answer my emails on there support line - can anyone help please?

s3mt3x 10:36 16 Dec 2003

It sounds like you need the USB 2 drivers for your motherboard. Without them the USB hub will not be reconized (as far as I know). What MOBO do you have - have you still got the disk?

Big Elf 12:46 16 Dec 2003

Have you installed SP1? This update provides USB2 support.

s3mt3x 12:53 16 Dec 2003

Yes - but he will still ned the drivers specific to his board.

ajb 13:11 16 Dec 2003

Thanks for your interest - Yes SP1 is installed - not too sure re motherboard drivers - Unsing A P2 700 HP Omnibook which has USB1 built in - therefore as in interim measure have a Belkin 2 port notebook card (works fine!)Just that the extra hub doesnt!

Big Elf 13:45 16 Dec 2003

The USB 2.0 drivers supplied with my motherboard didn't work and I had to format and re-install XP without them. Installing SP1 fixed it.

A google search suggested removing the BIOS battery might help but I don't know how or if you can do that with a laptop.

Big Elf 14:15 16 Dec 2003

I've had a thought. Is the USB card described as powered. If it isn't then you can't plug in another non-powered hub.

plankton 14:28 16 Dec 2003

I've had a thought as well!!;o))

Have u enabled USB in the BIOS? It may have come set up as disabled, if you got no USB kit with it.
This is probably why it won't start...??????

ajb 14:29 16 Dec 2003

Belkin have been in touch - after a week! - returning hub to supplier - thanks for everything! (PS both Hub & Card are powered)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?