USB2 and Firewire

SylvesterMagic 10:53 27 Feb 2008

A very quick question, can USB2 do the same job as Firewire (albeit perhaps not as quickly)?

For example, if I wanted to transfer camcorder material, is it just a question of getting the right lead so that it plugs in via USB2?

Thanks

Neil

carper 11:10 27 Feb 2008

A quick answer No. If you transfer camcorder material via USB you will not be able to download sound. Or at least I can't on mine and of course as you say it is quicker. Hope this helps. Regards Carper

Fermat's Theorem 17:39 27 Feb 2008

The danger in using USB to transfer camcorder material is that the speed of transfer is not as fast as Firewire and that, therefore, frames may be lost from your data. This could result in a "jerky" playback. Remember that you are normally transferring about 26 frames per second - USB can't really handle that.

Hope this helps :-)

SylvesterMagic 17:42 27 Feb 2008

Thanks

Makes me wonder why new laptops are coming out without Firewire ports, very odd.

Is there any way around this? Can you get a USB2/Firewire adapter perhaps? I've searched online but there doesn't seem to be anything.

Neil

tullie 17:50 27 Feb 2008

Havent seen any new laptops without Firewire ports

SylvesterMagic 17:58 27 Feb 2008

The Samsung R700 doesn't...

click here

Fermat's Theorem 21:24 27 Feb 2008

If you haven't got a firewire port on your laptop, you can get a firewire adaptor card. It is not an expensive item and should solve your problem. All computer stores should have them in stock or you could google "firewire adaptor card".

Hope this helps :-)

MCE2K5 21:35 27 Feb 2008

Belkin F5U513EA - Firewire Notebook Adapter click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone