USB2 Camera - USB1 Laptop

BTony 18:52 17 Apr 2006

Hi,
I am thinking about buying a Digital SLR camera and in the spec. it says USB2 in/out connection. My old laptop only has USB1. Does anybody know if the camera will still work on the laptop ?
(I've tried installing a USB2 PCIMIA card but not sure its working properly.) Any help appreciated.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:13 17 Apr 2006

USB2 is backwards compatible, it will just run at USB1 speed.

Diemmess 10:01 18 Apr 2006

The camera as Mr Mistoffelees has said will transfer data quite happily if a little slower with only USB1.
Where you would really notice the slowness would be if you were connecting an external USB drive and tranferring whole folders of data.

Buy the camera, have fun and perhaps treat yourself to a USB 2 conversion some time in the future.

Diemmess 10:08 18 Apr 2006

Your point about your PCIMIA card.
Did you see it install?
You can check in device manager > hardware and see if there is a reference to USB 2 in the section Universal Serial Bus Controllers . If there is then it is functioning.

Totally-braindead 12:24 18 Apr 2006

Further to what Diemmess says in control panel, device manager it usually say enhanced, if it mentions that then its USB 2.0. Regardless it should still work as the others have said but much slower.

woodchip 13:18 18 Apr 2006

If you are on Win98 or ME the PCMCIA card will only work as 1. some USB will work on 1 but at the slower speed. Others will not work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone