USB1 & USB2 indentification

Bagsey 09:14 10 May 2007

Reading some of the replies in another thread there seems to be the idea that USB1 sockets are different to USB2 . Can someone please tell me if this is the case and what the differences are.
I have a mesh that is supposed to have USB2 but I have never been able to find out which sockets are which. Thanks for any info.

[email protected] 09:28 10 May 2007

its to do with transfer rates,normally in device manger under usb heading it wil state enhanced controller
click here

Technotiger 09:33 10 May 2007

Hi, the usb sockets look the same - if you are using XP, when you plug a usb2 item into a usb1 port, XP will pop up a message saying something like "this item will work better if plugged into a USB2 port" (wording might not be exact). So if you try each of your sockets it will tell you which is which.

Supposed to have USB2? - go to My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and expand the USB Controllers, if you then see the word Enhanced anywhere within that section, then yes you do have USB2.

Gongoozler 09:34 10 May 2007

Mechanically the sockets are identical, its the electronics within the computer that defines the function and the connecting wires are generally better screened for the higher speed of USB2.

Stuartli 10:27 10 May 2007

Plenty of help, advice and downloads about USB matters at:

click here

Bagsey 14:54 10 May 2007

Thanks everyone for your help. My computer works fine with all of the usb things that I have plugged in. I was concerned to read on this forum that there was a physical difference between the usb1 & usb2 sockets. I cant find the thread again where this was stated , but I have never noticed any difference. Maybe I was very tired when I read it so could easlty have made a mistake. Anyway once again thanks for getting my brain back into gear.

Technotiger 15:47 10 May 2007

Your welcome, glad you have been reassured ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?