USB works once

derekw 22:03 20 Feb 2003

I have a continual problem with USB on a 98SE machine. Only the HP Scanner is USB connected. It is occasionally possible to communicate with it one time after boot-up, after that, the HP ScanPro application cannot find scanner. The whole scanner setup works perfectly on another identical PC – same MoBo etc.
Tried running Epson printer on USB – same result, get a test page OK then no response on further print jobs. This goes for any/all USB ports – the 2 hard wired ones and the 3 aux items.
System properties show all hardware and USB items as working properly.

Before I consider MoBo replacement, is there any diagnostic tooling available out there???
Or any advice please ?

MoBo is ASUS A7V (Athlon 1GHz), VIA chipset with latest 4in1 drivers.

pj123 22:12 20 Feb 2003

I got some good advice from a professional some time ago as I had the same problem.

Do Not Switch Anything That Works on USB OFF.

My scanner and printer are now never switched off and they work every time.

Give it a try.

derekw 23:15 20 Feb 2003

Thanks pj123. That's something to consider once we get the problem resolved.

eccomputers 23:43 20 Feb 2003

I have known a lot of problems with epson products, it is something to do with their 'virtual usb port' drivers. Dont get a new motherboard, just get a decent 4 port usb card, pci. Just plug it into a spare slot and away you go.

pj123 15:40 21 Feb 2003

Just a PS to my previous. If you do switch them off make sure you switch them back on first before switching the PC on. that should work as well.

derekw 21:38 24 Feb 2003

Seemed to have fixed it... When it comes to spending money you tend to try ANY thing!
Did a BIOS upgrade and scanner + printer are now working satisfactorily.
Thanks to you both for suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone