usb wireless

omega-13 23:40 10 Sep 2005

looking to buy a usb wireless internet kit and was just wondering if anyone else has tried them and what their opinon was, to link two pcs for a wirelss lan, also can you share a printer using them

LAP 10:54 11 Sep 2005

We have 2 computers in the same room and went over to Btbroadband and wireless at the same time and purchased the following.
1 Bt Voyager 2100 wireless router (this also contains the modem) and 2 Bt Voyager 1050 USB wireless networking adaptors. These work fine. This is all you will require. I do not have any knowledge of any other products

N.B. I originally purchased Philips USB adaptors and when I did have a minor connection/set up problem I found that Philips help was on line (rubbish) and Bt did not want to know because it was not a Bt product. So I took them back and exchanged them for Bt one's.

Bt products are more expensive but as I'm with Bt I thought it was the best way for me to go.
No idea about printer, but you must be able too that's the idea of 'wireless' but I think your computers will have to be connected via a network. Perhaps someone else will know.
I hope this helps?

omega-13 11:20 11 Sep 2005

do you have to use btbroadband to use their wireless modem/usb or can you use their product for any ISP?

LAP 11:38 11 Sep 2005

I think you can use any product for any ISP, but to be sure keep this thread going and someone else will reply.

LAP 11:50 11 Sep 2005

A current thread .click here perhaps this answers your question re printer.

mgmcc 09:40 12 Sep 2005

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an [i]“Ad Hoc”[/i] Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. [i]“Internet Connection Sharing”[/i] is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable [i]“Internet Connection Sharing”[/i] on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up [i]“Internet Connection Sharing”[/i]. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or [i]“ICS”[/i] traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than computer is to use a broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. This is an [i]”Infrastructure”[/i] wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing wirelessly across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

mgmcc 09:42 12 Sep 2005

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid. (Remove underscores from h_t_t_p_)

h_t_t_p_://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?