USB Vacuum

jim63 05:08 22 Mar 2008

Any comments or reviews on these gadets.

€dstowe 07:08 22 Mar 2008

They are a stupid idea.

To do any useful cleaning inside a computer it needs to be powered off, thus no USB facility.

That, coupled with the unsuitability of using a precisely controlled power source to run a crude electric motor is reason for me.

Technotiger 07:50 22 Mar 2008

I agree with €dstowe.

FatboySlim71 08:56 22 Mar 2008

When I clean the fluff/gunk out of the inside of my PC and its fans, I always use a paint brush, the type you would use to paint a picture with. While I am brushing the fluff etc out, I have close to where I am brushing, the vacuum pipe so as when the fluff etc is getting brushed out it is then sucked up the vacuum pipe, this is IMO the best way to clean the inside of the PC and the fans.

jim63 14:48 22 Mar 2008

The advert said it cleans the key pad.If it was strong enough it would save having to get the hoover out.

€dstowe 16:16 22 Mar 2008

It would only remove loose fluff and dust. From what I've seen, and get, on keyboards is a closely adherent muck which requires quite some effort to remove - a vacuum cleaner, even a Dyson, would find that an impossibility.

I'd save my money and buy something more practical which doesn't risk ruining the controlled, smoothed 5V supply line from your computer.

FatboySlim71 22:25 22 Mar 2008

If you really want to clean your keyboard then the best thing I have found is to use your vacuum cleaner's hose and attach the brush (if one is included with your vac). I find that the bristles get in between the keys and clean them, whilst the suction sucks up the fluff/bits etc that lies beneath the keys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?