usb troubles

chippy+ 20:01 20 Mar 2006

hi can anyone help i have 6 usb2 ports 4 back 2 front the 2 on the front are used for camera and flash drive (memory pen)they have been working fine utill now i am getting a message from one of the ports (one of the usb devices attached to this computerhas malfunctioned and windows does not reconize it the location of the device is shown inbold type) (unknown device) the memory pen and camera work fine on 1 thanks chippy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:46 20 Mar 2006

Option 1 reboot

Option 2 Uninstall all USB root hubs and controllers, reboot and let XP find new hardware and reinstall for you or Action scan for new hardware and let XP install the ports again.

clock 10:02 21 Mar 2006

Chippy, - I have had the same problem with 3 year old camera not being recognised when plugged into USB port at front. Exactly same message! One works, the other is not recognised. Checked via Device Manager, all working correctly?

Fruit Bat, - Thanks for the tip, I have seen this in previous postings on USB problems and I will try it when I am feeling braver! However, there have been so many USB problems on these pages recently I would like to know what has caused them? My problem started after latest Window's Updates and I wondered, in a previous posting, if this could be the problem?

Anyone out there who can throw light on this problem?

Clock

chippy+ 12:11 21 Mar 2006

hi thanks for the replies ihad already tried the
device manager everythig chcked out ok but still had the problem i seamed to have solved the problem my pen drive came with an extension lead so i plugged it into the port that was not working and plugged the pen drive into that and it worked ? thanks again for your help
chippy

AaNnDdYy 12:22 21 Mar 2006

i just read in window s web page that all AMD and 64+ processors have a usb fault and there is an update for this common prob apparently ,<i dloaded windows defender> and was reading through the updates and your problem matches it ,,sorry if this doesnt help but its worth a look !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone