Usb Systray Icon

SURVEY 22:19 06 Jan 2005

Windows XP SP2. Why is it that when I connect my scanner (USB2 and separate power supply)I do not get the usb icon in the systray. The reason I ask this is that I thought one should click on the icon prior to disconnection. Similarly no scanner hardware icon is apparent that may have allowed me to power off.

VoG II 22:27 06 Jan 2005

Do you mean Safely Remove Hardware in the Notification Area? Are you sure it isn't hidden?

SURVEY 22:31 06 Jan 2005

Yes I do mean The Safely Remove icon. The systray is expanded and not hidden. Without the icon I thought it was not prudent to disconnect by just switching off the power and pulling the usb cable out.

VoG II 22:35 06 Jan 2005

If you click here
it should bring that icon back (and more).

SURVEY 13:22 17 Jan 2005

The icon I meant to state was the 'safely remove' icon that shows when equipment is connected to the USB socket. I have spoken to Epson, my scanner manufacturer, to enquire if there is a reason for no icon. Their response is that like some other manufacturers they consider that the icon is not required. I aways thought it was prudent not to just unplug without clicking a 'safely remove' icon. Can anybody confirm to me that the icon is an irrelevance and no harm will occur by just plugging and unplugging at will? And does this mean that even if the icon is provided it is not necessary to click on it to remove?

Curio 14:09 17 Jan 2005

My documentation for USB connected Scanner says it is unnecessary to use the Safe to Remove Icon. Apparently most USB connected kit does not require it. If you feel it is unsafe to disconnect without this icon giving you permission, shut down before disconnecting. It is however, vital the icon be used for External Hard Drives and the like (such as HDD Juke Boxes)

Graham ® 14:10 17 Jan 2005

And card readers.

Graham ® 14:14 17 Jan 2005

I think the difference is in the type of device. If I am viewing pictures on a card reader and they haven't yet been saved, their sudden disappearance will cause a crash; Windows is protecting itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?