USB Speeds

Steven W 14:38 04 Dec 2004

I was reading a review of a Canon printer and it mentioned it has two USB ports.

It mentioned 3 types of USB. 1.1, Full Speed and Hi-Speed. One port did two types and the onther only one.

What the differences between Full and Hi-Speed? I know 1.1 is the old slow standard....

bremner 14:55 04 Dec 2004

Take a look here click here

Steven W 17:51 05 Dec 2004

Cheers so USB 1.1 is Full Speed and USB 2.0 is High Speed?

Steven W 17:54 05 Dec 2004

Look at this review - click here Bottom of the page says "The printer has two USB ports, the top one is for USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and the bottom one is for USB 2.0 Full Speed or USB 1.1. Only use the top port if your computer supports Hi-Speed. If in doubt use the bottom port."

So what's the difference between USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and USB 2.0 Full Speed?

JFT 20:01 05 Dec 2004

USB 1.1 or USB Full speed can transfer data at 12MBits/sec where as USB 2.0 or USB High Speed can transfer data at 480MBits/sec, so as you can see USB 2.0 (USB High Speed) is 40x faster than USB1.1(USB Full Speed)

woodchip 20:14 05 Dec 2004

With a Printer you will not get any faster speed as it governed by the printer not the port speed

temp003 02:55 06 Dec 2004

The use of these terms is confusing and inconsistent. You can basically ignore the article's reference to "USB 2.0 Full Speed". It's a wrong use of terminology.

If you want a device capable of 480Mbits/sec transfer speed, look for the words "hi-speed" in the specs, or the logo "certified USB Hi-speed" on the product.

The printer in question is one such device.

It has a usb2.0 connection, and a usb1.1 connection. I don't really see Canon's point of having the extra usb1.1 connection, since the usb2.0 connection will still work with a usb1.1 port on a computer (at the slower speed).

If you're still curious, click here for the official site.

Steven W 13:49 06 Dec 2004

Thanks.

I didn't make it clear but I'm do understand the difference will not be apparent for printing. I was just curious as to the difference between the standards for when it will be apparent - esp when one considers USB DVD Writers, Flash Drives etc etc

I'll read the article that temp003 provided and try to make head and tail of it.....

Why must manufacturers confuse issues like this??

Steven W 13:54 06 Dec 2004

The PIXMA iP8500 is compatible with all popular Windows and Macintosh operating systems. To add to convenience, there are two USB ports at the rear of the printer - a standard USB plus a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface.

It seems to only mention USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 and no third standard. So why did photo-i .co .uk have to mix it up?

As for why it has two USB ports - some are now coming out with two ports to aid sharing although i agree with why they both couldn't be USB 2.0...

Steven W 16:46 06 Dec 2004

click here

Quote "Without going into any technical detail, USB is broken up into three speed groups; Low Speed (1.5Mbps), Full Speed (12Mbps), and Hi-Speed (480Mbps)"

Hangs head, looks defeated and slowly smashes it in to his desk........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?