USB to Serial drivers

inkwash 15:13 22 Apr 2005

WINDOWS XP.
I have a USB Serial conversion cable, and have downloaded the drivers from the internet. I wish to use a GPS handheld on my laptop with OS maps. The download comes as a WinZip. This appears as 8 files. Has anyoneone any idea what I do next to extract these files?

Yoda Knight 15:20 22 Apr 2005

Get a copy of winzip from click here and install it. this will allow you to extract the files

inkwash 15:49 22 Apr 2005

I have a copy of WinZip. If I just click on EXTRACT, nothing happens. I think it wants to know where I wish to place the files. If this is so, then I do not know the answer Does anybody?

Yoda Knight 15:55 22 Apr 2005

right click on your desktop, choose NEW, FOLDER. Call it Temp. Then drag the files out of the winzip screen into the new folder (or extract them to it).

It doesnt really matter where you extract them to as long as you can find them afterwards as you will need to run the setup file (or point the device manager to the driver file location, depending on how you go about it)

inkwash 17:17 22 Apr 2005

I don't seem to have progressed any further than when I started.
I have made a temp folder, and in that is a folder marked U2SXP. When I open that there are 3 files - System file (Cannot be opened) - Setup information (a mass of tech info which means little to me) - and Security catalog. No Setup file. I am baffled. What do I try now?

Yoda Knight 17:19 22 Apr 2005

Are these files or folders ? Are they drivers or the maps ?

If they are files, what are the extensions (the three letters after the dot in the name)

inkwash 17:42 22 Apr 2005

Uhm! None of them have extensions. The maps have been loaded entirely separately. This is purely a Serial to USB conversion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?