USB Problems

dms05 16:39 30 Oct 2007

My laptop has 3 USB2 ports and in addition I have a 4 port USB2 powered hub. I've started to have problems with any USB2 device connected either via the hub or direct to the laptop - XP reports the device(s) to be not recognised. However if I connect them all via a powered USB Docking Station, with only USB1 ports, they all work (obviously at USB1 speeds) even if I connect them via the USB2 hub connected to the USB1 port of the docking station connected to the USB2 port of the laptop.

Why will nothing work when directly connected using USB2 ports but will work via USB1 ports connected to the laptops USB2 ports via the docking station?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 30 Oct 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

dms05 17:05 30 Oct 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'm currently re-installing Device Manager and will follow your recommendations. One point - do you mean absolutley everything or just the installed peripherals like printer etc (ie do I delete the actual USB ports or just the attached devices)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 30 Oct 2007

do I delete the actual USB ports or just the attached devices

delete all the ports

dms05 08:48 31 Oct 2007

I've now deleted all the USB ports and restarted XP. The various ports were then detected and installed. However all the old faults persist (ie USB2 devices on USB2 ports are nor recognised but when connected via a USB1 docking station using one of the USB2 ports they all work - slowly).

I've run PCLinuxOS 2007 (dual boot) and all the USB2 devices are recognised on USB2 ports and run as expected. So it seems an XP problem rather than any hardware problem.

Any other thoughts?

(I've had a parallel problem with hal.dll and device manager. Hal.dll disappeared and when reinstated device manager disappeared. I now have a workround having reinstalled devmgmt.msc from my XP CD. However as hal.dll is a hardware related device I wonder if the problem is there?)

dms05 17:42 31 Oct 2007

Ok I've looked around a bit and found lots of people reporting (back as far as 2002) that hal.dll can cause problems with USB ports (as well as other things). Apparently hal.dll is a 'dynamic' file that changes according to your hardware and unless hal.dll reflects your hardware closely you can have problems. Simply replacing hal.dll often fails to work as the hal.dll in i386 will be very different to the hal.dll you need to reinstall. More worryingly people report hal.dll been a problem immediately after reformatting and then reinstalling XP.

After all the tinkering about I'm about to rerun sfc /scannow but I don't hold out much hope.

All my hardware continues to run as USB2 (where applicable) under Linux but isn't recognised as working by XP unless it's connected via a USB1 hub.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?