USB problems

red dragon 22:48 02 Dec 2004

Hi
I have just upgraded my old usb1 hub for a usb2.

At first it wouldn't work. The leds would light on boot but then go off as windows opened.
I tried connecting different devices and connecting the hub to different ports....no difference.

I then connected it to a usb cable I had with a USB flash drive. It has standard usb plug on one end and a usb socket at the other.
When connected to this everything attached to the hub works, but anything connected to any of the pc ports direct comes up with malfunctioning usb device and appears in device manager as unknown device.
If I reconnect my old hub with the new hub still connected anything I connect to the old hub works.
If I disconnect the new hub anything I connect direct to the pc port works.
I am completely confused.
HELP!!!!!!!!
Any advice greatfully received.

The os is win XP pro

Regards
Red Dragon

woodchip 23:00 02 Dec 2004

How have you upgraded the USB???? is it with a PCI USB2 card

woodchip 23:02 02 Dec 2004

PS and you cannot upgrade a USB1.1 Hub to a USB2 Hub as it will only work as a USB1.1

woodchip 23:04 02 Dec 2004

And is the XP computer fixed USB a USB2 or a USB1.1?????

red dragon 23:06 02 Dec 2004

For upgraded read replaced.

The hub us powered and external not pci.

The usb ports that are on the motherboard are usb2.

woodchip 23:08 02 Dec 2004

Then only thing I can think is it need drivers loading other than the XP drivers. Have you got SP2 on your computer as this fixes some USB2 problems with old XP

red dragon 23:13 02 Dec 2004

All windows update are installed including sp2.

How can it be drivers if everything works when connected in a certain way?

woodchip 23:15 02 Dec 2004

That's computer for you!!!! Was there any supplyed with the Hub? if so have you loaded them

red dragon 23:19 02 Dec 2004

No drivers were supplied.

woodchip 23:24 02 Dec 2004

Then try putting XP disc in comp and run SFC /SCANNOW from the RUN box, to see if it comes up with something

woodchip 23:32 02 Dec 2004

PS also what about removing USB in device Manager and restart comp and let WinXP reload the USB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?