usb problem

justa2507 07:03 11 Mar 2008

Hi can eney1 help when i plug a device in usb port it says the device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. Im on xp and never had this problem before thanks

FatboySlim71 08:07 11 Mar 2008

What device is it?

Have you had this device working before or is this the first time you have connected it. It may be that you need to install something off of a disc before you can use it.

If none of the above applies then try this,

I'm not sure of the exact procedure as I am on Vista, but I think you do this,

Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.

Once in the device manager you need to look down the list for "UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS" click the + next to this, you need to right click on each of the entries that have opened up after you had clicked the + and choose from the menu that appears UN INSTALL, after you have done this for each of the entries, restart your PC and it should then detect and reinstall the USB CONTROLLERS, once it has COMPLETELY FINISHED doing this, try connecting up your device and see if it works.

FatboySlim71 09:21 12 Mar 2008

I know you contacted me to let me know that my suggestion worked, but it is helpful to others who may be having the same problem if you can update to what solved your problem. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?