USB problem?

Totally-braindead 13:12 01 Jan 2006

I built a new PC a few weeks ago, its based on an MSI K8NSLI motherboard with 2 SATA drives in a RAID 1 configuration, processor AMD64 3500+, 2x512mb RAM and 2 optical drives. Graphics card MSI 6600GT PCI Express.
Now whats happening is this, I noticed the Microsoft USB basic mouse was sometimes not detected and I had to unplug it and reinsert it in order to get it to work, as well as this my USB Sagem ADSL broadband modem sometimes refuses to connect with error 619. Its solved with the same solution, unplug it and reinsert it and it works perfectly.

Now what I'm thinking is that its the power supply not providing enough juice at startup that is causing this and am wondering if anyone could comment on this. I bought a new case and it came with a power supply a generic 450watt one, which should be sufficient but as many of you know all power supplies are not equal.

Before I go and fork out another £50 for a decent power supply can anyone tell me if they think I'm on the right lines here. The thing thats making me wonder if this is actually the problem is that the system is perfectly stable no matter what I do with it and seems to have no power problems once its up and running, I can plug in any USB device at all and everything works perfectly, rechecked the BIOS to make sure the USB is enabled so its not that. Any comments/advice will be gratefully received.

Forum Editor 13:22 01 Jan 2006

that this is a power-related problem. I sometime get precisely the same situation with my Microsoft fingerprint-recognition keyboard - unplug and replug it and there it is. I'm used to it, and it doesn't happen that frequently, so not too big a hassle, but I'm sure it's a USB power issue.

Totally-braindead 13:27 01 Jan 2006

Thank you Peter, I'll leave this open for a while to see if anyone else has some input but it confirms what I was thinking. Happy new year. Think I'll pop out for a wee dram and will check back later.

citadel 13:28 01 Jan 2006

If I were building a pc I would always have a top quality psu as the first thing to buy.

jack 14:31 01 Jan 2006

This cerainly sounds like power doesn't -but it works when replugged -like power has not reached its peak when Windoze decided to check what is plugged in.
Replugging wakes Winoze up and it finds them- so perhpas it is a Windoze thing after all?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 01 Jan 2006

Enter BIOS setup (del - esc - F2 -F10)
Use the Arrow keys to highlight Chipset Features Setup and press Enter.
Use the Arrow keys to highlight Enable the USB port and Legacy Support (or USB Mouse Support) mow use the Page Up and Page Down keys to set it to Enabled.
Save and Exit (normally F10)

Totally-braindead 15:17 01 Jan 2006

Thanks for the idea about enabling the USB in the BIOS but as I stated in the opening thread I've already checked that.

Totally-braindead 18:15 01 Jan 2006

I've decided to buy a new PSU and see if the problem persists or not. I'm not 100% sure this is that actual problem but I'm not happy using the generic power supply in any case and will be buying a quality one. Looking at click here or click here or perhaps click here Has anyone any advice/preference on the matter of power supplies. What I'm looking for is a supply as high powered as possible and quiet as well, preferably £50 or less. Not really interested in lights or anything like that just want a decent make with good power rating and quiet. Any advice gratefully received.

I'm going to leave this thread open until I get my new PSU and see if it makes any difference. The thing that does puzzle me, presumming it is the power supply, is why when its up and running is everything ok, I would have thought that if it was struggling then I would have some sort of problems when running things, connecting my external hard drive etc, but problems only appear at boot up and not every time.

woodchip 18:20 01 Jan 2006

Try this it may work, and if it does not then just revers. In Bios Disable Legacy USB devices. Save and Exit

Totally-braindead 18:54 01 Jan 2006

Ok woodchip I'll try it and see.

961 18:58 01 Jan 2006

If the mobo has a ps2 socket try using that for the mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone