USB Problem

Kominogie 20:36 23 Jun 2005

It seems anytime I attach a device to a USB port such as my I-River MP3 player, wireless mouse or any other device, my computer all of a sudden freezes up. I cannot use either the keyboards or mouse. This problem reared its head a few months ago, and until then I was able to connect devices to my computer's USB ports. Please help. I have tried re installing window but it made no difference. I was originally running WIn 2000 and I upgraded to Win XP but there was no improvement.

Noldi 20:47 23 Jun 2005

Sometimes these USB connections drain to much power from the mother board try a powered USB hub maybe.
Noldi

i had similar problem with my usb bb modem fixed it by updating my chipset drivers. worth a try?

woodchip 21:24 23 Jun 2005

Did you do a cleane install of XP???

Also if you Have full XP disc Go to Run Type SFC /SCANNOW with XP CD in comp

woodchip 21:27 23 Jun 2005

PS

You could also try this to get rid of corrupt USB. go to Device Manager to the bottom of list click on USB to Expand then starting from bottom of USB list uninstall ALL then restart and try USB

any joy yet Kominogie?

Kominogie 19:25 24 Jun 2005

Thanks for the help. I havegot the I-River to work but the mouse. Even though the mouse works on my laptop and not my desktop I hope the problem is with th e mouse as I get a device failur message.

I did a clean install of Xp before I posted initially and I know it does not drain too much power becuase the mouse was working originally.

When I ran SFC /SCANNOW nothing happened, and I have no idea how to update chipset drivers. but thanks anyway. I will have to try another usb device in the future and if that does not work I will be back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?