usb printers not recognised by Windows XP

bugszi 17:53 16 Sep 2003

Hi

My brand new laptop will not recognise either the Deskjet 1220C or the Canon i850 when connected to any of the 4 usb ports. The zip drive was recognised instantly. Any ideas please?

fred 19:48 16 Sep 2003

XP contains many drivers for printers but some printers require the CD with the drivers on.

e.g. I've been able to use many HP deskjet printers on a plug and play basis. Same with a Brother laser, but I've had to install the drivers for the Canon s200 inkjet on each of my XP machines.

ams4127 20:11 16 Sep 2003

Try this:

Device Manager - USB Controllers - USB Root Hub.

Right click each hub in turn and select Properties. Click on Power Management and untick the box allowing Windows to control power.

OK your way out. Re-boot and try your printers again.

bugszi 10:52 17 Sep 2003

Thanks for the response. Canon & HP's own drivers are installed, but the printers are not being detected. Tried the power management tip which sounded promising but no luck. Also tried connecting via a powered hub, again zilch.

-pops- 11:01 17 Sep 2003

"tried connecting via a powered hub"

Does this imply you were connecting via an unpowered hub?

If so, try connecting direct to the USB ports on your motherboard.

MAJ 11:02 17 Sep 2003

I know some HP Printers don't like it if you use a USB cable longer than 3 metres, they'll just refuse to install. Not sure about the Canon though.

bugszi 11:13 17 Sep 2003

Tried connecting directly to all usb ports before using the powered hub. And not using long cable. Going to have a look at the BIOS settings now.

Tamina 21:04 11 Nov 2003

Unplug your printer.
Go to Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance,
System, Hardware, Device Manager and click
on USB Ports. Check if any of the entries have a yellow exclamation mark in front of them.
Delete them from you system and restart windows.
The drivers for the usb port will be reloaded at start up. Try to connect the usb printer and see if it gets recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017