USB printer

Eileanbeag 19:55 29 Apr 2007

I havew been an idiot. I am running Windows XP and completely forgot to unplug my USB printer when formatting. I cannot now get the drivers to install - the printer is a Brother laser printer. Am I completely up the creek?

woodchip 20:00 29 Apr 2007

The printer should not be affected, By what you have done

Eileanbeag 20:03 29 Apr 2007

Why then will the drivers not install? I have reformatted and will try again shortly - am committed to meeting people for the next two hours

woodchip 20:07 29 Apr 2007

Have you removed the Printer then tried loading the software and drivers? Also look to see if Windows as tried loading the printer. Go to Start\Settings\Printers if it as Right click it and Delete then load the CD and Drivers. After plug in the printer

Eileanbeag 20:30 29 Apr 2007

Did as you suggested and all is well now - as a matter of interest why does one remove usb cables when formatting?

woodchip 20:31 29 Apr 2007

Windows will pick it up when you reload windows. Not when formating

Eileanbeag 20:59 29 Apr 2007

Many thanks - I thought I had to fork out for a new printer

Totally-braindead 22:13 29 Apr 2007

Agree with the others, unsure as to what the problem is but you cannot damage a printer by leaving it switched on when you format the hard drive.

phono 22:19 29 Apr 2007

As woodchip has stated, XP will have located the printer during install but as it was unable to locate the correct driver the printer was probably installed as an unknown device.

To remedy this all you had to do was unplug the printer, remove that unknown device from device manager, load the printer drivers and plug in the printer, a format was not required.

Eileanbeag 23:47 29 Apr 2007

Well its done now but I have learned from this experience - thanks all

phono 01:13 30 Apr 2007

Oh well as long as it's all going again, can we take that this matter is now resolved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?