USB Power issues + Chipset (MESH PC)

Voiceoverman 23:29 30 Jan 2004

I have been experiencing great difficulties trying to get a USB Mass Storage Device to work on my PC (Windows ME). Some may have seen the thread about BELKIN I've had running?

In a nutshell:-

Plug Belkin in, not recognised by PC, keeps crashing. Have had a replacement - same problem.

Plug another manufacturer's device in (KINGSTON) and it works fine...so long as it's going through a 'powered' hub. Try running it directy into PC USB main socket and it isn't recognised.

Have tried BELKIN via hub too but still no action.

I have an ASUSTek A7V Motherboard and much reading recently points to a well-known issue concerning USB 'power'and bandwidth problems with this arrangement (VIA Chipset) + AMD processor!!

I have even recently installed a USB 2 4-Port PCI Card hoping this may help but it has made no difference to the functionality.

I sometimes find my optical mouse (Microsoft) just loses power when printing and other devices have been known to just stop responding.

I had problems when switiching to ADSL Broadband about a year ago, the modem kept crashing and I had to go down the ethernet hub route to get on-line.

Getting the picture? I have updated the VIA Drivers using the 4 in 1 package and have downloaded the latest drivers for USB 2 for my new PCI card. None of this has made any difference. I'm beginning to creep slowly towards a BIOS update on the drivers which I reckon my machine's long overdue for but am beginning to wonder if this will improve things.

Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Graham

jakimo 17:33 01 Feb 2004

this may help click here

Voiceoverman 21:13 02 Feb 2004

Jakimo...

Thanks. Had a good look around, very useful. I had heard of this site but hadn't spent any time on it. Have come across stuff which has solved some other long-standing problems on my PC too.

Graham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone