USB Power

X™ 18:37 03 Jan 2007

Just a quick one, I can't find it on Google! I am going to make a Portable USB Charger, and I know USB is 5v, I just wanted to know the amps or watts, because I want it to be exactly like a real USB port, and I don't want to break any devices that I want to charge.

Technotiger 18:49 03 Jan 2007

Hi, what is it that you intend to re-charge? I have portable usb recharger that came with my mobile phone.

X™ 19:05 03 Jan 2007

A few things. But basicly I just want a portable USB port!

sean-278262 19:07 03 Jan 2007

Go to the pound shop most of them sell these things with a variety of adapters.

X™ 19:30 03 Jan 2007

No, I want to make one! Could someone just tell me the amps/watt.

Technotiger 19:34 03 Jan 2007

Hmm, if you are going to recharge multiple types of items, then perhaps you should make one that has variable ampage-wattage settings. Not that I know anything about this type of thing.

Totally-braindead 19:39 03 Jan 2007

I'm afraid I can't help either. I wouldn't muck about with my USB ports myself as I'd be too frightened about blowing them.
See if this helps click here but I personally wouldn't try it considering a hub is so cheap but its up to you.

wjrt 19:55 03 Jan 2007

500 milliamps x 5V

terryf 20:01 03 Jan 2007

I doubt that you could make one that is safe and portable as cheaply as you could buy one by the time you have bought a decent case, transformer, rectifier diodes, capacitors, fuse and then put it all together so that you don't kill yourself when you plug it in. I know that even though I have the bits in my garage and have only been working with electronics since 1949, I wouldn't attempt it. If you killed yourself by accident, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on when you tried to claim against your life insurance policy :-)

sean-278262 20:09 03 Jan 2007

Terryf is correct. The money you save is non exsistant. I have built many devices to save me buying the full version and tried repairing countless others. However for the 500mA it will take forever to charge most things. The wall charger is much faster. A prime example is that my treo 650 takes about 4 hours to charge the battery by usb about 2 on the wall charger. to 80% there is little difference but the final 20% takes about 1hour 30mins.

Totally-braindead 20:29 03 Jan 2007

Perhaps its X™s hobby, electronics that is. The only thing I can say to you is that I think its too risky to build it yourself unless you are an electronics engineer as you could cause a lot of damage to your very expensive PC. USB ports can be problematical at best without fiddling with the supply.

If you would like to build something electronic I'm sure someone could suggest something else. I remember I built a charger, a standalone one some years back.

I'm not trying to get on at you or tell you what to do its just I think theres to much of a chance of something going wrong. You haven't stated why you want to do it. If its some sort of hobby find something else to build.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?