USB ports not working.

rorschachmah 19:06 29 Mar 2015

I have a type B usb cable for my arduino plugged into my laptop but all of a sudden it is not showing up anywhere. Then i tried a regular 16GB usb stick and that also did not appear anywhere. I plugged all sorts of usbs around my laptops different usb ports but none of them are working. Also nothing at all shows up in the device manager for the usb ports. How do i fix this?!

I tried:

-restarting my PC

-uninstalling everything under "Universal serial bus controllers" and restarting my PC

-disabling then enabling everything under "Universal serial bus controllers" and restarting my PC

-tried using different USBs around the different ports

Nothing ive tried works. Im hoping some one can help me here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 29 Mar 2015

Have a look in the BIOS and see if you can find a USB entry and see if it is enabled or set to "legacy"

rorschachmah 19:54 29 Mar 2015

@Fruit Bat /\0/\

What is BIOS? and how do I check USB entries there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 29 Mar 2015

When you power on the laptop there will be a message " press ??? to enter setup"

where ??? is either del Esc F1 F2 etc.

This gets you into the laptops BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING IN HERE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Just have a look for now and see if you can find the USB settings - they may be under the Advanced Setting Menu.

rorschachmah 21:21 29 Mar 2015

In the BIOS. Legacy usb support was enabled. what does that mean and how do i resolve my issue.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 29 Mar 2015

I was hoping it was disabled and that what was causing the problem.

Because you have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and BIOS is working it is now possible that the motherboard fuse for the USb has blown unfortunately this is not repairable.

Only other way of getting USb is to use to a PCMCIA card in the slot if your laptop has a slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017