usb ports not working

s99Raj 18:39 16 Jul 2006

I have a Tiny PC, Model TI440BXM, which had Windows ME on it. I've now wiped the hard drive and loaded XP Professional and Service Pack 2 onto it with no problem.

The motherboard inside is an MS-6340, version 3. I've been to their webiste and downloaded and installed their VIA 4 in 1 drivers. Everything seems to be working fine except for the two USB ports on the motherboard. When I plug in a memory stick into either of them, the computer freezes. I've tried adding two new USB ports via the USB headers on the motherboard, but the same thing happens.

What could be causing this freezing, and what can I do about it?

sean-278262 19:45 16 Jul 2006

Go into control panel and then double click on system
then go to the second tab and open the device manager. When this window opens look for anything with a yellow ! mark beside it or a red x. Report back what you find.

A

s99Raj 20:35 16 Jul 2006

No yellow ! or ? marks at all.

I also tried uninstalling the USB controllers etc. and then scanning for harware changes. They came back up and the problem still persists.

s99Raj 10:02 20 Jul 2006

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to sort this out.
Any more suggestions, anyone?

keef66 11:50 20 Jul 2006

Is 'on-chip usb' enabled in bios?

did you also d/l and install from the MSI website the drivers for the onboard sound?

Failing that, buy a usb 2.0 PCI card

s99Raj 23:02 20 Jul 2006

Yes, it is enabled in the BIOS.

Yes, I did download from the MSI website.

I tried a new USB 2.0 PCI card and installed it but got the same problem - when I plugged a memory stick into the port, the computer just froze again.

skidzy 23:06 20 Jul 2006

have you tried this suggestion,its widely talked about click here
click here

keef66 08:31 21 Jul 2006

Then you've thought of everything I did.

You could browse for advice on usbman.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone