usb ports not recognised - can we do it ourselves?

mco 19:53 16 May 2005

Friend's got a new Tiny laptop (yes I know!) Tried to use 4 usb ports - nothing doing - on device manager I can't see usb controller or anything mentioning usb. Is it possible they're not connected on motherboard? Or is there a driver we need to download from somewhere in cyberspace? We have utility cd that mentions usb2 but can't work out how to install it from there. Laptop's just come back from factory once because, quote 'bios wasn't flashed correctly' thanks!

Eric10 19:55 16 May 2005

There is often a setting in the BIOS to Enable/Disable USB.

mco 20:12 16 May 2005

this is my first venture into bios - I've just found how to get to it via f2 key on start up - now what and where to I look for the enable/disable please and I'll go back there? Many thanks

Eric10 20:33 16 May 2005

It all depends on the motherboard make, model and the type of BIOS so there isn't any specific advice I can give. You need to look at each page and look for something to do with USB. You don't need to worry too much about legacy USB as that is just for USB keyboard or mouse at startup (mine is set to AUTO). On one of my PCs with an AMI Bios, USB is listed on the ADVANCED page and has the following settings:

USB Function [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Controller Mode [Enabled]

Your BIOS could have these settings or different ones. Just don't change anything that you don't understand and if you get into a mess just use the EXIT WITHOUT SAVING option and it will all revert back.

mco 20:57 16 May 2005

Yes I thought you might saythat! I can't find any reference to usb in it anywhere! It's called phoenix bios btw

Eric10 21:40 16 May 2005

Have you looked inside any sub-sections on the pages? A favourite spot would "Integrated Peripherals" or "Peripheral Configuration" on the Advanced page if it's there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires