USB ports not recognised

Cornelius66 20:54 09 Nov 2006

Hi, before going away for a short break I shut down my pc and switched it off at the wall. Upon returning, I switched the power back on and the pc wouldn't start. I opened up the case, checked everything was ok and gave it a clean. The pc then started up ok, but I have lost the USB ports and the sound. Devices are plugged in, but the pc dosn't see them ( all devices are working, checked them on another pc )Printer,camera, memstick,scanner, ext drive. Nothing is even registered as being connected. No conflicts or messages in device manager, all drivers installed and working. I have no sound either. It seems that everything that plugs in to the back ( except keyboard & mouse ) is not seen. BIOS problem ??? Pls help ! Emachines 790 XP sp2 home, Pent 4, 512 ram. Thanks for any advice

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 09 Nov 2006

USB equip not recognised
Try switching the computer off and at the wall. Then hold the start switch in for 30 seconds or more, and then re boot.
or
Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

Cornelius66 21:41 09 Nov 2006

Hi fruit bat, thanks for the advice. The reboot hasn't worked. To refresh the usb ports. Do you mean uninstall everything under the heading Universal serial bus controllers, because there are no actual usb devices listed ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 09 Nov 2006

Everything listed, should be things like root hubs and controllers.

Cornelius66 17:42 10 Nov 2006

Ok, I uninstalled all the hubs and controllers, and rebooted. Pc started as usual and all the controllers have re-installed , but still no response when I plug any usb device in ! Any suggestions greatfully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 10 Nov 2006

Have a look in BIOS and check that USB options are enabled.

Cornelius66 20:36 10 Nov 2006

Sorry to appear stupid, but how do I check the BIOS. Never been that deep in the pc before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?