USB ports not recognised

tony2109 13:56 17 Mar 2006

A few days ago I was transferring some jpgs from a card reader to the PC via USB port "H".
When finished, I foolishly pulled out the lead without first shutting down the PC.
Since then the PC does not list any of the USB ports when I double click on "My Computer".
When I look in Control Panel/System/System Properties/Device Manager/USB Controllers, I am informed that Root Hubs and Host Controllers are "working normally".
Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem or must I go to see Mr.Helpful at the Computer Shop and cross his palm with £30 an hour plus parts?
I am running Windows XP and any advice would be much appreciated.
Tony

stylehurst 14:01 17 Mar 2006

Try a re-install of the drivers, it has worked for me in the past.

tony2109 15:50 17 Mar 2006

Thanks to Stylehurst for your help.
Couldn't find the drivers to re install but happened to touch the Card Reader which caused the PC to shut down and reboot. When I checked in "MY Computer" the F,G,H and I drives were listed so I can only assume that there is an intermittant fault on the reader.
thanks again
Tony

woodchip 16:10 17 Mar 2006

Go to My Computer Right Click\Properties\Hardware\device Manager click on + at the side of USB so you see them all, starting from the bottom right click choose uninstall remove all usb like this, then restart computer. This should reset USB's

tony2109 10:42 18 Mar 2006

Hi Woodchip
Thanks for your advice. I did as you advised with the following results...If I switch the PC on with my card reader unplugged from USB port H,and then double click the "My Computer" icon from desktop, none of the USB port icons are visible. If I then plug in the card reader, icons for USBs F,G,H & I appear. Is this normal?
Thanks
Tony

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:53 18 Mar 2006

They are not there when unplugged

woodchip 13:40 18 Mar 2006

Yes They should only show when plugged in

tony2109 09:32 19 Mar 2006

So, everything seems to be OK then.
Thanks to all who responded
Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?