USB ports dont work

hecate 12:27 02 Feb 2006

Can anyone help? I recently re-installed Windows Millennium after a number of problems. Unfortunately my USB ports no longer work. I checked "Device Manager" and there were a number of yellow question marks as follows
? PCI card.
? PCI System Management Bus.
? PCI Universal Serial Bus.
? PCI Ethernet Controller.
? PCI Multimedia Audio Device.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks ,Hecate.

Diemmess 12:36 02 Feb 2006

I barely understand the terms but read this.....
click here
Thwe errors you have suggest the PCI local bus is at fault(on your motherboard).

I hope I'm wrong!

gudgulf 12:37 02 Feb 2006

You will need to reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers,soundcard drivers and most probably drivers for your modem and graphics card.

Windows may include basic drivers for the graphics but since it is Me they will be old versions.

The Usb drivers should be included with the chipset drivers and you will find them on the motherboard cd.

If you don't have a driver cd for the motherboard please post the make,model number and any other information you have about your pc so we can identify and track down what you need.

You could start by visiting the pc manufacturers website...they normall provide all the drivers you will need.

Totally-braindead 12:42 02 Feb 2006

Installing the motherboard drivers as Gudgulf has said will cure the problem.

Diemmess 12:43 02 Feb 2006

It could just work to use the old routine of removing every device shown with a yellow triangle, then reboot and pray.

Windows ME ought to be able to find and restore them all, if it only did a bum installation the first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone