USB ports and card reader stopped working

Cyberduck 22:55 01 Dec 2007

Hi all,
I have a HP Pavillion with XP Home, IE7 and ZASS. A couple of days ago the cursor froze, first suspect was the USB keyboard and mouse that my wife bought from Netto. I changed them for the original PS/2's and all was well until she tried to download some photos from her camera.
I tred the SD card in the built in card reader but no luck.
Device Manager says that the USB's read good but the HP Solution Center diagnostic can't read them.
Did the cheapo Netto kit blow a gasket? Is it a software or hardware problem?? Does anyone have any ideas before I get the screwdriver and hammer out!

HCOOH 23:02 01 Dec 2007

Can you uninstall the card reader in device manager and reboot, should reinstall the device.

woodchip 23:03 01 Dec 2007

Two things o try, Easy first. Switch computer off and Pull the Mains plug out, now Push the start button for 10 seconds, Switch computer back on and try

If it's a No Go, Go to Device Manager right at the bottom Expand USB and uninstall all USB starting from Bottom, Restart Computer and Allow PC to find all USB, then retry USB

Cyberduck 01:32 02 Dec 2007

Hi, thanks for the advice, re-installed USB's but no luck, strange but I can't find any reference to the card reader in Device Manager, or anywhere else for that matter???

Seth Haniel 08:44 02 Dec 2007

turned off and earthed PC to disharge Static Electricity - started with card in reader - and there it was - been OK since

Cyberduck 11:36 02 Dec 2007

How do I earth the PC, it is standing on the floor at the moment so I guess the case will earth to the carpet?? Any chance that it might be a static problem from the carpet??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 02 Dec 2007

How do I earth the PC as per woodchip
Switch computer off and Pull the Mains plug out, now Pushand hold the start button for 10 seconds

CArpet will be nylon content and therefore produce static and also insulate.

You could run a small wire (i.e.speaker cable) from a case screw on the rear of the PC to a radiator pipe to keep it earthed.

Seth Haniel 11:56 02 Dec 2007

make sure its switched off and touch one of the metal screws in the case with one hand and touch radiator or similar with other.
I think if you have it on a board raised from carpet it may help.

Cyberduck 13:21 02 Dec 2007

I have just been having another check around and I cannot find any reference to the Card Reader in Device Manager or Windows Explorer? It's there on my laptop so question is, does the card reader cosey-up on the USB card? Is it the problem?
There's no schematic with this thing so I guess I'll have to have a poke....unless you have any other ideas??

Seth Haniel 13:29 02 Dec 2007

click here

Did'nt show in Device manager or My Computer

but now they do!!!

Cyberduck 20:05 02 Dec 2007

I have tried four times to reply to this thread but each time that I try to post, I get told that I'm not logged in....I give up!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?