USB Ports are not at version 2.0

MartynHoll 23:25 03 Jan 2007

I have just installed a new motherboard and also had to re-install Windows XP. When I plug a USB device into any of the USB ports, Windows is telling me that the ports are not at version 2.0. I have checked with my driver disk that came with the m/board and it tells me that XP should update the controllers to version 2 - how do I fix it?

johnnyrocker 23:34 03 Jan 2007

if you dont have usb 2 ports they cannot as far as i know be upgraded, oddly enough my pc usb ports (2) only failed i went to pc world bought a belkin usb 2 compatible pci card which it says the ports will work equally well 1.1 or 2 simultaneously and i now have plenty of options after a rather fiddley install.

johnny.

Totally-braindead 23:42 03 Jan 2007

You need to update your windows to SP1 that will do it. SP1 includes the updates to get your USB ports up to USB 2.0 speeds. (assumming your new board has USB 2.0 of course)
click here

johnnyrocker 23:46 03 Jan 2007

that was the point of my query and if xp i would have thought been on sp2 not that i see how it helps.

johnny

Totally-braindead 23:54 03 Jan 2007

johnnyrocker if MartynHoll has reinstalled Windows and its an older disk ie pre SP1 he will not get USB 2.0 speeds hence my post.
To get USB 2.0 speeds you need SP1 to be installed that is how it helps.
If you don't believe me read this and scroll down to the bit about Windows XP click here

MartynHoll 08:04 04 Jan 2007

I went straight from XP Home orginal to service pack 2 - does that make a difference? My motherboard does support USB 2.

keef66 09:55 04 Jan 2007

have a look in device manager under USB. Any yellow exclamation marks? Any mention of enhanced PCI to USB host controller?

MartynHoll 10:44 04 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help. I have now found one of the host controllers with the yellow exclamation marks and have updated the driver and it is now showing as an enhanced controller. Sorted!

Totally-braindead 15:39 04 Jan 2007

To answer your question about SP2. SP2 contains all the updates to SP1. So if you update to SP2 you automatically get the SP1 updates as well.
Glad its sorted.

keef66 15:44 04 Jan 2007

Glad to be of help!

It baffles me how these drivers go missing or suddenly need updating, but it does provide hours of fun for all the family.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?