USB Ports All Dead

Red to the Bone 11:26 13 Apr 2007

All my USB Ports (2 front, 4 back) have given up the ghost. Other I/O devices (mouse, keyboard etc.) seem fine and the device manager says that the USB Hubs and so on are working ok. I've tried disallowing power-save mode on the USB Hubs, but it's not that. Any ideas please?

SteveWH 12:29 13 Apr 2007

You could try uninstalling them in device manager then rebooting or try a system restore.

Totally-braindead 12:41 13 Apr 2007

Its possible they are dead, it does happen occassionally. Try SteveWHs advice first, delete all USB entries in device manager and restart windows will automatically reload the drivers and see what happens.
Another one which may sound a bit weird but can work with some USB problems is to hold the switch off button on your PC in for about 60 seconds and then reboot.
If the USB has died and otherwise you are happy with your PC you can buy a PCI USB 2.0 card and keep it going that way click here. Or if its under warranty return it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 13 Apr 2007

Its possible you have overloaded the USB ports and blown the non replaceable fuse on the motherboard.

But first uninstall Everything undr the haeding USB in device manager. Then reboot let your PC find and reinstll new hardware.

bluto1 20:04 13 Apr 2007

Happened to me so I went the way of Totally-braindead.

Red to the Bone 19:05 15 Apr 2007

Many thanks for everyone's advice. I'm back up and running now. Unfortunately, none of the soft-options worked, so I had to shell out for a £20 USB card. Much better than a new PC though! Cheers!

taxiuk 07:52 26 Jun 2007

just happend to me had a massage usb overloading then none of the usb worked???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone