USB port problem

Liza 19:49 04 Jun 2010

Hello

I wrote wayback in December that my sister had a problem with her Lexmark printer, connected to a USB port on the computer. Tried everything i.e. connected to 4 other ports on the Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista, checked with Lexmark but no problem was found. I then suggested that she attach it to her daughter's computer and the printer worked. What could the problem be. Obviously the computer is playing up, bought about 2 years ago. Would she need new drivers for the 10 ports (I believe Dell provides). Would I get this on the website or Dell themselves. Unfortunately the warranty has expired. Please advise. Thanks, Liza.

Technotiger 20:11 04 Jun 2010

You could try re-installing the USB Ports. Go into Device Manager and delete ALL USB ports, then re-start Computer. Computer should find the USB ports and re-install them.

lotvic 20:31 04 Jun 2010

Not much help but,
I did that on my Dell once, unfortunately both the keyboard and mouse are usb so then I couldn't shut the pc down.... it was a long while ago and I can't remember how I fixed it. There is no PS/2 connector on Dell's.

woodchip 21:24 04 Jun 2010

Lexmark and Vista Drivers do not go well together, unless you can download the ones that are for the Printer using Vista. As Lexmark did not start writing Drivers for Vista while late in the day

Liza 14:58 05 Jun 2010

Hello all
Thanks for your help. I will see if I can download using vista. lotvic thanks for pointing out the keyboard and mouse bit. My sis would go spare if she had that kind of problem. I woould not have minded if it was my pc.
liza

Liza 14:55 11 Jun 2010

I was on the phone with my sis about printer. She said she was reading McAlfie virus prot. docs and discovered they put a block on the use of the printer through Firewall. She thinks probably this happened when she was printing a large no.of documents when her printer suddenly stopped and never came on again. I said to ring them up and ask if their virus protector had indeed put a block and also whether they were operating the Firewall themselves and not Windows Vista or Microsoft. I will let you know when she replies. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017