USB port problem

kimtrnc 13:20 23 Mar 2009

My system has 4 USB ports, 2 back, 2 in front. One of the ports is used to plug in an unpowered hub.
Most things work. MY 2 flash drives won't, wherever I plug them in.
Someone told me that I should alter the bios to correctly represent the number of ports I have, but I am not sure which particular entry I should be changing. ( I do know how to get into the bios, and have done so successfully for some time)
someone else says the motherboard driver needs updating. I am scared of fiddling with this ( MY motherboard, according to Belarc, is Micro-Star MS7255 1.2.
Should I?
TIA Kim

Stuartli 13:39 23 Mar 2009

If you have XP and the Service Packs, or Vista, then USB2.0 drivers will be already available.

Your MSI mobo model number appears to partially fit this specification:

click here

but I can't find it on the MSI website, which is usually excellent at providing support (I have an MSI board).

You need to check the motherboard model again.

Try again, this time using SIW which can be downloaded from:

click here

Scroll down to Hardware and click on Motherboard after opening SIW.

Stuartli 13:40 23 Mar 2009

Some USB devices, such as scanners, printers etc need to be used with an individual USB port on the system.

Stuartli 13:49 23 Mar 2009

Installing motherboard drivers (if they are Via) is normally quite straightforward, although I doubt if they are the reason for the problem.

Grey Goo 13:53 23 Mar 2009

Live update here. Do not have MSI products so am not able to comment on their use.
click here

iqs 14:00 23 Mar 2009

Remove the hub,and try again.

Have you checked for any problems in device manager?.

Are the flash drive formatted,do they show in computer management/storage

kimtrnc 14:07 23 Mar 2009

Stuart, SIW confirms motherboard number. Nervous about flashing BIOS.Presumably this is not reversible?
Kim

kimtrnc 14:25 23 Mar 2009

PS - SIW also sees a J drive, details of this show that the devide is FAT, rather than NTFS. could this be the problem, I wonder? And if so, how does a usb flash drive become FAT, which I haven't used for years, anyway?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone