USB port problem

gazmo4 23:04 01 Mar 2007

I am quite new to computers,like many i just switch it on and hope all goes well. Until last week all did go well but then my two year old Mesh went on the blink. To be precise the two front usb ports suddenly packed up while i had a WIFI adapter in one port and my Ipod adapter in the other.
I tried the adapters in another computer and they work fine,the WIFI adapter also works ok in the rear USB ports.
The odd thing is that the Ipod adapter has now started working in the front ports again and if i connect a pen drive it lights for a second then stops again.
I contacted the people at Mesh computer and they suggested removing and reinstalling the Universal serial bus controllers. I've tried this a couple of times now but it hasn't helped and now Mesh haven't replied again.(so much for aftersales help)
I've scanned the forums for advice and would like to know if anyone got any ideas that i could try next.I know i could just use the rear ports but i would like to restore full use to the front ports again if possible.
Thanks for your time.
Gazmo4

kane_2001 23:41 01 Mar 2007

I had the same problem but got it resolved, my front usb ports were "sticking". sometimes they would work, other times they wouldnt. I opened my PC case and made sure that the connections were tight and they were but when I inserted and wiggled my bluetooth dongle, it worked fine. found out afterwards I had been trying to push the USB`s in too hard ( not saying that you have ) and I had dislodged the connection ports. Have a try at that otherwise, make sure that the USB ports are clean from dust ( sounds silly but trust me it causes probs ).

Hope this helps

gazmo4 23:50 01 Mar 2007

Hi Kane_2001,
Thanks for the advice, you may be right with the idea of dislodging the connections. I will open the case up tomorrow and let you know how i get on.Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Gazmo4

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 02 Mar 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

gazmo4 19:16 02 Mar 2007

I will give both ideas a try over the weekend although I have tried the idea from Fruit Bat already. I've little to loose since they are on the blink already. Thanks for the advice I will post an update assoon as I can get the computer apart and then check the Device manager idea after the rebuild.
many thanks
Gazmo4

woodchip 19:19 02 Mar 2007

The front USB ports Have gone over the power of the USB so it's disconnected. To stop it blowing the On motherboard fuse. The items should work on there own

woodchip 19:21 02 Mar 2007

You can get items to work if they are self powered, like with a mains adapter

gazmo4 19:43 03 Mar 2007

I have tried cleaning and checking the connections without luck. I think Woodchip maybe right. For the last 6 months the ports have been fine using the Ipod in one and the WIFI adapter in the other but now only the Ipod works (which has its own battery power as well as a mains adapter as Woodchip points out). Surely if the front two ports can be used then a WIFI adapter and an Ipod plugged in to the two ports should have been an accepteble load though. Maybe I expect too much , anyway, can the USB's be reconnected? are we talking about a program type shut down which I could try to reboot ,or are we talking about a "take it to the shop" type problem ?

woodchip 19:46 03 Mar 2007

The power adapter may not be working. Even though a light may be on

gazmo4 20:00 03 Mar 2007

I am abit confused . When you talk about the power adapter are you talking about the WIFI adapter (this is only powered via the computer), the pen drive again is only powered by the computer and does light up momenterily but not long enough to register as a connection in the system tray. As for the Ipod when i plug it into those USB ports it connects in either and I can go to Itunes and it shows the Ipod as connectedvia either port. I dont see how the Ipod works but not the other two, surely the ports work or they dont ? unless as you say the Ipod is actually working off its own internal battery and not from the computers connection.

phono 20:07 03 Mar 2007

Do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested, also check this site out click here for excellent advice on all things USB, including troubleshooting tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone