USB port problem

Poloman69 22:53 23 Mar 2004

My collegue at work just bought a new Sony NetMD player and his computer isn't detecting the device.

All of the software was installed correctly and device connected corectly but his PC won't detect it, not even as a removable storage device.

(He is currently running Windows 2000)

I know this might be a stab in the dark, but anyone got any idea's?

Giggle n' Bits 00:48 24 Mar 2004

devices are listed in the Device Manager. Sounds like its not enabled in the BIOS.

Poloman69 17:42 24 Mar 2004

Asked that - apparantly his printer is on USB and that works fine and no not in device manager
Any further idea's?

Poloman69 16:39 25 Mar 2004

Anyone with any idea's?

* We have checked device manager - nothing there

* BIOS set up for plug n' play - ok there

* Tried running computer with NetMD Mini disc connected and unconnected - nothing working there

* Tried running control panel 'Add new hardware' to find it - nothing detected

* Tried uninstalling CD (supplied) and letting windows find it for us - nothing found

* Tried re-installing CD in case of missing files or drivers - nothing there either

Has ANYONE any idea's what could be wrong ??

stylehurst 17:12 25 Mar 2004

Who provided the chipset, if it was Via it may need an upgrade; downloadable from the Via site

Gemma 18:06 25 Mar 2004

Check the MD in another PC to see if it's USB port is alive.

W2000 was quite buggy with USB, particularly USB2, try to apply any outstanding fixes from MS.

Try the MD in the port that the printer uses.

spuds 20:02 25 Mar 2004

Possibly a very long shot. I had a problem via USB connections, and devices not being reconized.I installed a self-powered usb 4 port unit on advise from a scanner and printer manufacturers helpline. Connected the device and it was reconized. I still use the computer usb connection for some devices.So it may pay to try both self-powered and computer powered connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?