USB Pen and Win98se

bigfella 23:08 01 Aug 2004

Just been given some data on a USB Pen. My PC runs windows 98se which recognised it as a 'flash disk' but wanted a driver for it. Anyone know where I can get a driver from so that I can read what's on it? Ta very much!

woodchip 23:27 01 Aug 2004

depends on the make of pen

bigfella 23:34 02 Aug 2004

USB Pen was given away at an IT demo and make is not known and it doesn't have any markings to say what type it is. Sorry!

johnsims 23:40 02 Aug 2004

Try the PQI site click here
They make a series of USB travelling disks and their driver may work. Failing that search for manufacturers of USB pen drives on google and try drivers until you find one that works.

johnsims 23:42 02 Aug 2004

XP will run them all without adding drivers, has MS provided an update for 98SE that does the same? Try searching the MS knowledge base too.

terryr48 23:50 02 Aug 2004

Do you know anyone with xp? I think you might just be able to plug & play with this. If I am wrong someone will say and I'll apologise just in case ;)

terryr48 23:52 02 Aug 2004

johnsims-sorry you beat me to it-must be getting slower with the typing

Imperial Judge 00:01 03 Aug 2004

try this, don't know if it works cos I use XP.

click here

beeuuem 00:55 03 Aug 2004

You could try downloading Everest Home from click here install it.
Open Everest, with the flash plugged in,and look in Computer > Summary > Storage and it should partially identify the device.
My Samsung is identified as a Lexar Jumpshot and the drivers supplied with the drive are indeed from Lexar.
Drivers for Lexar are available from click here or click here

Good Hunting!

temp003 10:00 03 Aug 2004

Unfortunately, MS does not provide built-in driver support in 98 for USB mass storage. It's left to the manufacturers. You will need to try different drivers.

Alternatively, if you can get access to any PC with Windows 2000, ME or XP, the USB Pen will be recognised immediately. You can then copy the data to other media, or go into Device Manager, note down the make and model of the usb pen, and see if you can find a 98 driver for it.

GRFT 11:59 03 Aug 2004

The first Flash Drive I installed came with download instructions for a Win98se driver. The second drive, different make, is quite happy with this driver also. click here and see if it works with yours

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?