USB Pen drive not recognised after PC crash

bluebottle 21:09 19 Dec 2007

I was doing some work for uni and accessing my pen drive when my computer crashed and went to a blue screen. When I rebooted, XP Home would not recognise my pen drive although it showed it in MY computer as a removable drive. When I try to find my Uni data on the pen drive, windows just says that it does not recognise my pen drive. Can someone help please as all this terms work is on my pen drive and no I don't have a backup. I know I'm very stupid. Anyone any ideas please

skidzy 21:17 19 Dec 2007

Try a recovery program;

PCinspector click here

Recuva click here

Testdisk click here

Drive rescue click here

Plenty more out there.

LinH 21:28 19 Dec 2007

Try it in a pc of one of your friends first.

LinH

bluebottle 08:07 20 Dec 2007

Hi everyone

thanks for the quick response. I have tried all the programs that you have suggested as well as another PC with no luck. A different program than suggested gave a message that the boot record could not be found. With that in mind I thought of using some of the partition recovery tools but they don't see the drive at all - would this be because the USB drive is not usually visible at boot up. The tools I was using are off the Hiren boot CD. My thinking was that if I was to quick format the drive I would at least get the boot record back and I could possibly recover the old partition. I have burned a lot of midnight oil on this as you can imagine. Anyone got any other suggestions

skidzy 17:34 20 Dec 2007

If you format the drive,you would lose everything and make it a lot harder to recover any data if it was possible to recover.

Your best bet is Test Disk to rebuild the partition,others may have more ideas.

Widow's Son 20:10 20 Dec 2007

will attempt to recover the data for you. I've never had to use one so I can't make a recommendation or give you an idea of how expensive - perhaps someone else can

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 20 Dec 2007

From cfc msticks smartmedia etc.
Smart recovery click here
zero assumption click here
Restor Pen Drives click here

UncleP 01:10 21 Dec 2007

Does the pen drive appear in the list of memory devices on the disk management page? If so, what does it say about its status? - this can indicate what the basic problem is, and hence the best way to attempt to recover the data. It's also the safest, since you're not doing anything to the drive at this stage.

bluebottle 15:51 21 Dec 2007

Thanks everyone for your help so far, I have tried all the recovery programs mentioned plus a few others without success. 1) zero assumption reports that the disk has 0 capacity. One of the other programs reported that there was no Boot record for this device. This was my thinking in quick formating - at least the device would then be readable and I had though that I might have been able to recover the previous partition using partition recovery software. At the moment its there in my computer but nothing seems to be able to access it, there must be a way around this. To UncleP, the pen drive appears as Disk 1 No Media. There is nothing under the other headings. As I said previous the pen drive shows as a removable drive, if clicked on I get the message that the device is not ready. When I check the properties it says that the device is working properly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?