USB Pen Drive Advice

Sebby 17:52 01 Apr 2003

I'm going to get myself a USB Pen Drive, probably just a 32MB or 64MB for taking documents off of my PC and onto my laptop.

I don't really know which make and model to go for, i.e. I don't know which are good and which are bad. What are PQI like? I see many of these around. Are there any ones to definately go for?

SCL411 18:12 01 Apr 2003

I've had a number of different models by different manufactures and, to be honest, haven't been able to see any real differences between them. All have worked reliably and have been very useful.

I do, however, really love my Sony Micro Vault USB 2 model. It's noticably quicker when transfering files if it's used on a PC with USB 2 sockets and the design appeals to me!!

I know that many people knock Watford Electronics for poor aftersales support(not something I've discovered yet) but they are offering their own brand device at an excellent price.

SCL

Sebby 18:19 01 Apr 2003

Thanks. I did have a look at the Micro Vaults and yes the design is lovely (as is every other Sony product, especially my VAIO laptop!) but they're a bit over-priced!

I may just go for the PQI, I'd just be interested to see what people think of these.

Anyway, thanks again, SCL.

jimv7 18:33 01 Apr 2003

Just 1 point, ALWAYS only plug it into the rear usb slots on a different computer.

These slots are connected directly to the mobo and not by cables.

If the person who built the computer has got the cables wrong for the front usb ports, you could end up with a cooked pen drive.

Sebby 18:39 01 Apr 2003

I built my computer, what you trying to say ;-)

Thanks for the advice! :-)

jimv7 18:42 01 Apr 2003

Just what I said, not everyone gets the cables the right way round for the front usb, so to be on the safe side only plug the pen drive into the rear usb sockets, untill you know for sure that the front are connected properly.

Sebby 18:45 01 Apr 2003

Just ordered the PQI 32MB for £14.

Thanks everyone.

jimv7 18:47 01 Apr 2003

Usb 2 pen drives are now availabe, 400mb per sec speed.

Sebby 18:52 01 Apr 2003

My laptop doesn't have USB 2.0. Anyway, I'll only be using it for documents so at the moment I only need a USB 1.1 version.

Djohn 18:54 01 Apr 2003

Link please, I fancy one of these myself. J.

fullywired23 19:05 01 Apr 2003

you can get a 64mb pen drive for £22 including VAT from click here .I have one and it works a treat
viejo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone