USB or USB2 Priter cable?

kingjames 19:53 10 Jan 2006

I have a 2year old DELL XP computer and have just bought another ALL IN ONE Epson RX520 printer without a cable.
Do I need a USB or aUSB2 cable?
kingjames.

amonra 19:55 10 Jan 2006

Same thing.

stalion 19:56 10 Jan 2006

the cable is the same for both it's the usb2 in your computer that is necessary

Stuartli 19:57 10 Jan 2006

Buy a quality USB cable and it won't matter.

I've got an Epson R300 and, for the first few days, I used it with USB 1.1.

I then bought a USB2 PCI card as I was running out of ports even with a powered hub.

The printer, now linked to the USB2 card, works at exactly the same startup and output speeds as previously.

wotbus@ 19:57 10 Jan 2006

I think either will do. What did you use before and what does the RX520 handbook specify? USB2 is backwards compatible.

Minkey1 21:03 10 Jan 2006

As Stalion says the flavour of cable will make no difference if your PC can only supply USB 1 speeds. If you have a USB 2 card fitted and want to use new peripherals which are set up to use 2.0, cable makers, such as Belkin, would have us believe that there "is" a difference in performance between a USB 1 and a USB 2 cable, and packs are marked accordingly.

Whether the cable itself actually makes much difference I don't know, but know plenty of AV & HiFi fans who would argue it does in their fields.

Personally, to maximise data flow between a 2.0 card and new kit, I would not risk the boat for a happ'orth of tar and would buy a 2.0 cable.

But I'm always a sucker for the latest thing and flash packaging !

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone