USB or Parallel?

HawkeyePierce 14:40 28 Apr 2003

I have a printer that can be connected via either the USB or parallel port to my PC. Currently it is connected via Parallel, but I have found a USB cable (was supplied with the NTL cable modem, but that was connected via ethernet).

Is there ANY noticable difference in using USB over Parallel (or the other way round), apart form the cable being a hell of lot less bulky?

Sir Radfordin™ 14:48 28 Apr 2003

The short answer is no.

There is no change in the quality that is produced and it won't be done any quicker. The only advantage is likely to be the ease of plug and play. Some printers also don't mind being connected to two computers. Some do!

Diemmess 15:57 28 Apr 2003

Another detail, if you are likely to run short of USB ports, then use LPT1 for your printer. There will be no other competition unless you are running more than one printer...........!

As said previously, there will be no difference in speed. The limiting factor is the speed of the printer itself, and not the rate at which it can receive data.

Paranoid Android 17:32 28 Apr 2003

Agree.

mrdsgs 18:19 28 Apr 2003

you can connect several printers to one pc with usb but not with lpt parallel.

Patr100 18:27 28 Apr 2003

With USB so prevalent for other devices , there's little the parallel port is good for these days , other than printing so keep it for that if your setup is working OK.

HawkeyePierce 12:19 29 Apr 2003

Cheers folks.

Was just curious that's all. I know they reccommend the Mac to be connected via USB. All they need to do now is make that flaming Parallel cable thinner - it's hard work looping and hiding it. Keeps popping back up again ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?