USB not recognised installing printer

mooghaun 15:18 16 Jan 2008

When I try to instal a Brother MFE 240 printer on my windows xp desktop I am getting this message, 'One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.' I tried connecting up a second usb cable in case the first one was damaged in some way and atill got the same message. Help much appreciated

rawprawn 15:21 16 Jan 2008

Look in Device Manager and see if there are any problems shown

rawprawn 16:04 16 Jan 2008

Try shutting down the computer and literally disconnecting the powercord from the powersupply then reconnect after a few seconds and start up the computer again.

Graham. 16:08 16 Jan 2008

Funny things, printers. Unplug the USB, uninstall the drivers, reinstall, only plug in the USB when it asks you to.

SANTOS7 16:08 16 Jan 2008

In XP, after a USB port isn't used for a long while the USB driver built into the OS sets the OHCI controller to suspend. When you plug a device back in, it can sometimes fail to 'wake up' properly. This problem was supposedly fixed in SP1 but there is a related registry hack that may still be able to help.

Run regedt32.exe and navigate to;

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb

Create the Usb key if it doesn't already exist. Under this key, create a new DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend and give it a value of 1. Then restart the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?