USB Mouse not detected on Start Up - Windows 95

crobar 18:49 14 Sep 2003

This is one for the technically inclined. I've searched the PCA archives but nothing quite matches the following problem.

I was impressed at the optical mouse I bought for a notebook computer and decided to treat myself to one on my geriatric Dan PC.

This has a serial mouse port but by using an extra, serial adapter I connected the new mouse via the supplied USB to PS2 adaptor. Messy I know but it never occurred to me that the Windows 95 o/s on my computer would be unable to detect it.

But it couldn't and no amount of persuasion or force would change the situation - Windows would stop loading and advise me that no mouse could be detected on the serial port, before continuing to boot normally (but without mouse functionality) after I had clicked on the OK button.

The difficulties further extended into being unable even to re-activate my normal mouse until I re-installed the original drivers.

So now I've got my old, trusty, Microsoft wheel mouse back in use (thankfully) but I'd like to know if anything can be done?

Can anyone help here please?

crobar

ps Should a mouse with a PS2 plug be OK with the 9 pin adator? The replacement PS2 keyboard I use similarly works fine. Is it USB that's the main problem?

VoG II 18:51 14 Sep 2003

I didn't think Windows 95 had USB support ?!?

Djohn 18:59 14 Sep 2003

Think that VoG is correct in saying that 95 will not recognise USB. Although the last release of 95 does mention "Limited" USB support. Not quite sure what this means, but might be that 95 will work a USB device through a USB PCI card.

Someone will be able to confirm this. j.

crobar 18:59 14 Sep 2003

No VoG, it hasn't. I was rather hoping, though, that connecting the mouse through adaptors would result in it being 'seen' as an ordinary mouse.

Too optimistic/unrealistic? Shows you what a dumbo I probably am?

crobar

Megatyte 19:26 14 Sep 2003

Is the mouse PS2 or USB? You've mentioned serial, USB and PS2. You stated that the PC has a serial port, yet you've used a USB to PS2 adoptor???

AH

graham√ 19:31 14 Sep 2003

Whichever way you connect it, there just isn't the power available for an optical mouse.

steven_frost 19:31 14 Sep 2003

Win 95 was around before USB came on to the market so it won't work via the usb and sorry their is nothing you can do to make it work you need to upgrade to win98 or above for real usb support

Patr100 20:01 14 Sep 2003

Win 95 "support " for USB is very limited and pronblematic so upgrading to 98 is the only practical option really.

Gaz 25 20:06 14 Sep 2003

As said, I looked at this thread title, and though 95 does not include USB support.

But I think you already have the answer,

Brian-336451 20:07 14 Sep 2003

I'm afraid the closest you can do is to upgrade to Win98 - which is a better system and is not too expensive if you look in the back of PCA.

Cheaper option stick with an orthodox mouse. I would NEVER give up my cordless optical, so perhaps the upgrade is 'forward' thinking.

Belatucadrus 20:12 14 Sep 2003

click here before spending more money, as has already been said W95 and USB are imperfect companions, but you may be able to get the mouse going.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017