USB Modems

coarse 13:46 16 Mar 2003

I have recentl bought a TIME Notebook PC with Windows XP. The internal modem's performance is very erratic and is incompatible with some phone lines. The Notebook does not have a serial port.
I bought a Zoom Modem which has a USB connection and does not clash with the internal modem. However, it is designed to support V.92 and performs very badly with an ISP that does not support it. The suggested solutions do not work.
I bought a Creative blaster USB modem (throwing good money after bad) but, although it dials, cannot connect to my ISP. I am now advised to disable the internal modem from the BIOS.
Is this a common problem?
Are there any known ISPs that support V.92?

Forum Editor 14:56 16 Mar 2003

your ISP supports V92 the Zoom modem should be backwards compatible with the V90 protocol, and should work perfectly well.

You shouldn't have to disable the internal modem - just select the new modem when configuring your dial up connection. It should all work without hitch, and I'm puzzled as what the "suggested solutions" are - the ones that don't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?