USB Modem shuts down

chelseafan 20:46 20 Sep 2006

I have a Sagem broadband modem (supplied by Tiscali) that quite often powers down with the obvious impact on my connection. The same would happen with an dial-up modem that I recently dumped (I was slow to take up broadband!). If i disconnect the USB lead and reconnect everything is fine for an hour or so when it shuts down again. I'm assuming it isn't the modem since it has happened with another model.
ANy ideas?

STREETWORK 21:17 20 Sep 2006

This looks like a power problem with the USB. some hardware uses power to operate drawn from the USB ports. If the power drain on the PSU is high then it can cause hardware either not to work or switch off. Unplug any other USB devices, printers, sscanners, camera, etc and try again. If it works OK you may need a better PSU.

What power output does your PSU give?

chelseafan 21:25 20 Sep 2006

I only have a printer, in addition to the modem, connected via USB but I think it has done the same with the printer switched off.
I've no idea what the power output from the PSU is. How can i tell? The PC is a Dell Dimension 4700, around 18 months old

STREETWORK 21:33 20 Sep 2006

Go to the DEll website where you may find the answer, otherwise it is on the label of the PSU,

Yours is 305w, if you can borrow a 400w PSU it is worth a try.

click here

chelseafan 21:49 20 Sep 2006

Thanks STREETWORK, that link looks like it'll possibly come in handy again in the future. I don't think i know anyone who i could borrow a higher rated PSU from. Are they cheap and are they easy to install? I had a feeling this might have been the problem so it might be an idea to replace it anyway - costs permitting at this stage i guess

Ashrich 22:41 24 Sep 2006

If using XP , right click on My Computer , come down to Properties , select Hardware then Device Manager , scroll down to USB Controllers , expand that and double click USB Root hub , click on power management and untick the box " allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " See if that helps .

Ashley

chelseafan 20:59 25 Sep 2006

Ashrich, I found five "USB Root Hubs" so i unticked each one of them. All's been well for 30 minutes or so. I'll report back on the success of this suggestion.
Thanks all

Terry

chelseafan 23:03 30 Sep 2006

Seems the tip offered by Ashrich worked. Modem been on-line since 10am this morning - 13 hours ago - without switching off.

Thanks

Resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?