USB modem limiting my choice of wireless router

gfunk 23:05 29 Aug 2006

Hello guys and gals,

I've just bought a Qosmio F30 notebook primarily for wireless usage.
I have an account with Tiscali using a Sagem Fast 800 modem. The modem is connected to my current PC via a USB port.
I want a good quality MIMO or Pre-n router for the best/fastest connection. Unfortunately all the routers I have seen are all ethernet connections.
So here are my questions:

1. Is there a good quality USB router out there?

2. Can you get an adapter from USB to ethernet?

3. Can I ditch my modem and obtain a combined modem router without ballsing up my internet connection?

4. Are there any other suggestions.

I had a look on Tiscalis site and there was a 54mbs USB router for £90 which they sell (I'm assuming this is one of the reasons they chose the USB connection...)

Any advice would most appreciated.

Strawballs 23:10 29 Aug 2006

You will need a modem/router combination,
click here this is an example but other good makes are linksys, Dlink and belkin

ade.h 23:17 29 Aug 2006

Er.... that would be because ADSL users require an ADSL modem/router! click here click here and see my post of Mon, [email protected]:21 for specific product advice. If you want a Pre-n router - which I would NOT recommend at this particular time except for the impatient because Ratified 802.11n is pretty close now - then MIMO is highly advantageous. I would suggest either the WAG54GX2 click here or the 8630 click here

chrissy2005 23:25 29 Aug 2006

I have just bought a dynamode adsl combined router and modem.£49.00 from a local computer shop.It works very well.I use my old usb modem on another upstairs computer without a wireless capability when the modem/router is off.The laptop has a wireless card and I use that with the router.So far it's all very satisfactory.

Strawballs 23:47 29 Aug 2006

Chrissy I would ask 1 question what security (encryption) does it support.

gfunk 23:14 30 Aug 2006

Thanks guys, gonna go with ADSL wireless router, advice appreciated, kudos to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone