usb microphones

kmgeod 19:43 02 Mar 2006

I have bought two different microphones both with a 3.5mm pink jack conection.I cannot get either of them to work,i've tried everything that people have suggested online.
Now i'm wondering if i bought a usb connection microphone i might have more luck with that.
Any comments!

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 02 Mar 2006

Saying you've tried everything suggested makes me wary of offering any thoughts :-)

Anyway, are you sure that microphone is not muted in the sound control?

DIYgirl 20:20 02 Mar 2006

Are you going to use them with speech recognition software, like Dragon Naturally Speaking? If so there's a good forum to go to at, I think, click here and if that doesn't work, search for KnowBrainer on Google and you should find it.

If you're plugging into a soundcard, by the way, you might need a boost in power to get the mic to work: you can get battery boxes to do this for you. That could be your problem. Again, ask at the KnowBrainer forum or browse the rest of the site there for an explanation.

kmgeod 20:28 02 Mar 2006

Thanks for your replies.
I have made sure the mic isn't muted.

I was eventually going to look at voice recognition software,but at first i was just looking to use it with msn messenger.

DieSse 22:11 02 Mar 2006

I use a Logitech USB headset (earphones and mic), with MSN Messenger all the time. Works just fine.

You might have more luck - but it depends what the problem is. At least the USB mic will not use the sound card/chip - so there are different drivers, so there is a sporting chance it will work right away.

Audeal 10:18 03 Mar 2006

Make sure the mic's volume in the sound control is turned up, or check the audio setup is working in MSN Messenger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?